Ashbrook LTC was founded in 1922 at Green Lanes in Kimmage. In 1927 the members acquired a 40 year lease on the ground of No. 20 Grosvenor Road. Showing the intrepid spirit that still characterises the club, the members transported the old pavilion by horse, cart and bicycle to the new club grounds.
Six grass courts were laid and, perhaps reflecting the dramas on court, a theatrical society developed where Milo O’Shea and Maureen Potter got their first laughs. Dances were run on Saturday nights from the ‘50s to the ‘70s and drew crowds from all over the city.
In 1966, the lease was renewed for another 40 years and the following year, No. 20 and its grounds went up for sale. The club purchased both and later sold the house. In the meantime Ashbrook tennis went from strength to strength. In 1960, we won Class 2 and played Class 1 for ten years. Between 1964 and 1970, we also ran the City of Dublin Open Championship. In 1967, Ashbrook hosted the Irish Open Championship in conjunction with the City of Dublin –the first and only time the Irish Open was played outside of Fitzwilliam LTC.
In 1987, our famous old pavilion burned down and was replaced in 1988 by the new building with its bar, lounge, dressing rooms and function hall. Finally, in 1998, the next major development was completed – the laying of 6 new tennis courts with lighting.